Cannamilk or weed milk is fast becoming a popular delicacy for people who care about their health and diet but still want to experience the benefits of cannabis.
Cannamilk – Got Milk? Got Weed? Get Cooking!
Cannamilk is the latest cannabis infused product, it can refer to dairy milk, commercially available hemp seed milk or the vegan almond weed milk. This means that regardless of your diet, you can always enjoy some type of weed milk beverage to start your day on a high note! Both dairy and almond milk infusions can be prepared at home using basic equipment in your kitchen, however, weed milk has a limited shelf life as it should be consumed as soon as possible before the milk expires. Canna milk can be consumed as a beverage, added to coffee or tea or used in the preparation of baked products.
The active ingredient in cannabis that is sought after for the ‘high’ effect it provides, THC, binds to the fats in the milk to create weed milk. The amount of THC depends on the fat content of the milk and you can add coconut milk to the almond to increase its fat content. This allows you to obtain a thick, sweet, marijuana-scented milk. You can also add a little honey to improve the taste. So how is it made? What are the effects of cannamilk? Is it safe? How long does its ‘high’ effect last?
Cannamilk recipe using dairy milk
You will need the following
- A herb grinder
- A wooden mixing spoon or a whisk
- Coffee filters or a cheesecloth
- A bowl, a saucepan. The bowl should have enough room so that you can stir the ingredients without spilling.
- An oven (necessary for the cannabis decarboxylation process)
Ingredients to make weed milk include;
- 1/8 oz. of fine ground cannabis.
- 250- 750 ml of whole milk –THC is fat soluble and is not soluble in water, the more fat the more THC will be bound.
- Vanilla extracts – Not always necessary but help prevent cannabis flavour from being too overpowering.
Step by step directions
- Decarboxylate the cannabis– Put the marijuana on a lined and rimmed baking sheet and heat in the oven for around 30 minutes at 240 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the oven, let it cool completely and grind it finely. This step may not be necessary but it helps to save your time and improve the THCA conversion to THC in your cannamilk.
- Put as much water as you can in the saucepan but don’t let it touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Heat the water and bring it to a very gentle simmer, don’t let it boil as it will burn the cannabis and this is not good for your weed milk.
- Put the milk in the bowl and combine it with the vanilla extracts, add the ground cannabis and whisk slowly while ensuring no clumping.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water.
- When the mixture comes to a simmer, reduce the heat and set it to the lowest setting. Stir every few minutes while ensuring that the mixture doesn’t get too hot to scorch the bottom of the pan or form a skin at the top. Do this for 30 – 40 minutes. The mixture will turn into a slight green-yellow colour and thicken as it continues to cook.
- If you did not decarboxylatethe cannabis before, ensure it simmers for more than an hour. The more time you allow, the more the cannabis flavour your cannamilk will have.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and strain it through the cheesecloth or coffee filter. You can also let it cool before straining as this may allow some extra infusion.
- Chill the cannamilk in the fridge and enjoy as you see fit. Remember the storage time is limited to the shelf life of the milk.
You can adjust the amount of cannabis according to the potency you want in your weed milk or according to your personal tolerance. Also, the amount of milk will reduce in volume during the simmering process, you can add some more milk after the cannamilk has already cooled to bring it back to the original volume. You can store the weed milk as you would store your regular milk.
When making vegan almond weed milk you will need the following ingredients;
- Raw almonds
- Ground cannabis (quantity depends on the desired potency)
Blend the almonds and water until you obtain a mixture that looks like milk. Use the cheesecloth to strain the mixture to obtain the milk.
Put the milk in a saucepan and heat to boil
Add the decarboxylated ground cannabis to the milk, stir and reduce the heat.
Simmer for up to 40 minutes while stirring to ensure there is no scorching at the bottom.
Remove from the heat and strain through the cheesecloth.
The cannamilk has higher water contents than cannabis oil. However, due to the lower fat content, the THC infusion is lower, and this can be increased by adding coconut milk/cream to the almond milk to increase the fat content. There you have a recipe for a healthy and tasty weed milk!
Benefits of cannamilk
Cannamilk via OZY.com
Here are some of the benefits of cannamilk;
Reduces chronic pain – Cannabinoids present in cannabis, THC and CBD have pain relieving properties. This takes place after about an hour after ingesting the cannamilk. Just like edibles, you can feel the effects for up to 8 hours.
Reduces the symptoms of nausea – The active ingredients like THC are known to stimulate appetite and reduce nausea. This could be useful in cancer patients under chemotherapy.
It is very easy to make – You can use your kitchen equipment and readily available ingredients to make your cannamilk. You can use stems, flowers or even cannabutter to make your weed milk.
It is also believed that cannamilk has the ability to relieve anxiety and depression.
Whether you want to just get high or experience the healing ‘magic’ of cannabis, there are many ways to get it into your body. Smoking, vaping, edibles and now the less risky cannamilk are some of the ways through which you can consume cannabis. This method enables you to have the correct dosage of THC into your body, through a less complicated method of preparation. Even those practicing vegan diet are not left out as the weed milk can also be prepared from other readily available nuts.